Chaste Tree (Vitex agnus-castus) is one of my top 5 herbs to use for women’s conditions and fertility issues. It is a powerful herb and effective when used in the correct situation; being a prolactin inhibitor, galactagogue, dopaminergic agonist, indirectly progesterogenic and calming to the nervous system.
Chaste tree is often used in the treatment of;
- PMS symptoms
- Premenstrual dysphoric disorder
- Irregular ovulation
- Postnatal depression
- Uterine fibroids
- Sleep maintenance insomnia
- Lengthening a short luteal phase
- Miscarriage related to low progesterone levels
- DUB (dysfunctional uterine bleeding) such heavy, absent or irregular periods
Vitex isn’t the right herb for everyone and shouldn’t be used by teenagers or during an IVF cycle; it is best prescribed by an experienced practitioner who knows what time during the menstrual cycle to take the herb and in what dosage to achieve the best result.