Most cultures around the world have traditional practices relating to the care of a mother and her baby in the first forty days after birth. In modern times this period is known as the ‘fourth trimester’.
As a Midwife I love caring for women during the postnatal period; helping new mothers with breastfeeding, supporting their postpartum recovery and visiting families as they adjust to their new lives at home once they leave the hospital. I love the relationships I build with women during one of the most significant times of their lives and am privileged to have the opportunity to care for a families’ emotional and physical needs during this special time.
As a Naturopath I use herbal medicines, teas, meal suggestions and nutritional supplements to enhance healing, encourage a good milk supply, support relaxation and promote a balanced mood during the 4th trimester. The focus of the postnatal period is on rest, support, warmth and nutrition.
Naturopaths treat many of the common complaints women experience in the days, weeks and months after birth. Postpartum recovery may involve treatment and nutritional support for:
- Healing after birth (either from vaginal or caesarean birth)
- Fourth trimester nourishment and recovery
- Postnatal depression and anxiety
- Sleep difficulties
- Anaemia and low iron levels
- Vitamin D deficiency
- Low energy levels and fatigue
- Thyroid imbalances
- Meal planning and nutritional guidance
- Mastitis prevention and recovery
- Low breast milk supply
- Cracked and damaged nipples
- Depleted immune system and frequent infections
- Hormonal imbalances and return of fertility
Are you interested in learning more about the use of herbal medicines or galactagogues such as Fenugreek to increase your milk supply?
Have you just had a baby and are in need of a little support to recover physically and nutritionally?